Proven traceability helps verify a product’s sustainable story and Naia™ is all about sustainability. Using advanced digital technologies and supply chain modeling, TextileGenesis™ traces every phase of making a garment, citing farm and factory locations and every process used to get a product from point of origin to final retail destination. The partnership with TextileGenesis™ to use blockchain technology will identify and track the path Naia™ takes from its raw materials to the final garment.
Here’s how it works.
The pioneering TextileGenesis™ system engages all tiers of a supplier’s ecosystem to create unprecedented traceability based on five key principles:
- Verifying the point of origin by digitizing any textile asset (e.g., fiber, filament, yarn, fabric, garment) to ensure there is no double counting
- Capturing real-time shipment transactions across supply tiers
- Value chain modeling using augmented intelligence to gain insight into complex textile value chains along with wastage and loss factors
- Creating a cross-industry ecosystem by working with organizations, exchanges, established protocols, and sustainable fiber producers—applying premier environmental, social, and governance (ESG) standards
- Supporting independent, third-party verification, including those that perform forensic fiber audits and verify the ESG credentials of suppliers
The TextileGenesis™ platform captures shipments across four to five supply tiers, from
sustainable fiber origin to retail, i.e., a fiber forward approach to traceability, not garment backward.
“Traceability in the textiles supply chain is a crucial step for a more transparent industry overall,” said Claudia de Witte, sustainability leader, Eastman Textile Fibers. “Joining the TextilesGenesis™ platform is an exciting addition to our existing Naia™ verification program. By collaborating with fellow innovators, we are delivering on our 2022 sustainability goal to enable advanced technology and information solutions for tracking and tracing our materials.”
The TextileGenesis ™partnership demonstrates Eastman’s commitment to partner with industry leaders to implement systematic changes that help ensure that sustainable textiles are accessible to all. It also allows Naia™ to achieve another sustainability goal.